Merry Christmas, y’all! I mentioned last week in the #favefive that The Grinch is one of my favorite Christmas movies. I remember seeing it for the first time on a school trip in middle school and loved it. Now, it’s a Christmas tradition! So, when I saw Grinch cookies on Pinterest, I thought this was a great idea!
Last week, we had our small group Christmas party, which included appetizers, desserts, and a White Elephant gift exchange with stuff from around the house (which is such a great idea! This way, you get to get rid of something, but it might be something that someone else likes or wants! Way better than just junk gag gifts that you accumulate!). I took sausage puffs for the appetizer (click here for that recipe), and Grinch cookies as dessert.
I was inspired by a Pinterest pin to make these, but the original pin was a little different. Theirs were square, with a smaller cookie as the heart. Just an FYI- store bought sugar cookie dough does NOT cut with cookie cutters. Lesson learned.
These are great because they are festive, but so easy! I feel like you can barely call this a recipe- it’s more assembly than anything!
What You Need:
- 1 package of pre-prepared sugar cookie dough
- I used the Pillsbury round cookies. You could also take the tube and spread it out into one large sheet and then cut them yourself if you like!
- 1 can of cream cheese frosting
- Green food coloring
- Bake the cookies according to the package directions.
- Put 10-20 drops of food coloring in the can of frosting. Stir to mix, and continue to add color until you reach your desired shade of green.
- Take strawberries and slice vertically.
- I cut the stems out at an angle so there was a little notch and the slices would look more like a heart.
- Frost each cookie, and then place a strawberry on each cookie.
- I put them off to the side a little like a real heart placement, but put them wherever you like!
And that’s it!
You are welcome to add the extra cut out cookie heart instead of the strawberry, but I was going for easy and quick. Plus, fruit pizza (sugar cookie, cream cheese frosting, and fruit) is my jam!
These end up being a little messy with the green food coloring, but so much fun! And delicious!
Merry Christmas, y’all!